This blog contains affiliate links. For information, see full disclosure here.
In the previous entry, Need to FIX Your Gut?, I discussed an excellent book that I read regarding gut health. Over the next several entries, I will share eight foods and supplements that I’ve found extremely helpful in aiding my gut, as well as my fitness endeavors.
My Top 8 Gut Friendly Supplements
- Bone Broth and Bone Broth Protein Powder
- Digestive Enzymes
- Fermented / Cultured Foods
- Proteolytic Enzymes
Maybe you already use some of these items. If not, perhaps one or more is just what you need to heal* your gut and take your fitness, and your life, to the next level.
What is Colostrum?
Colostrum is the first form of milk produced by mammals immediately after the delivery of a newborn. This liquid is filled with immune cells, antibodies (immunoglobulins), and growth factors that benefit the newborn, and have been shown to be of benefit to humans as well.
Benefits of Bovine Colostrum
Some studies indicate positive and downright amazing results when used by athletes and fitness enthusiasts to improve performance and to speed up post-workout recovery. It has also been shown to improve digestive tract permeability issues (leaky gut) and boost the immune system.
Other benefits may include:
- Injury repair
- System detoxification
- Improved mood
- Assisting friendly gut flora by killing harmful bacteria and fungus
- Reduced inflammation
- Help to repair gut lining
Possible Side Effects
Side effects tend to be minor and temporary for most individuals. Noted side effects include:
- Detox symptoms (aches, fatigue, brain fog)
What to Look For
When purchasing colostrum, be sure to choose / consider the following:
- Country of origin (US, Canada, New Zealand are best)
- “6-hour” / first-milking
- No additives or fillers
- Produced by grass-fed cows
- Organic and / or non-GMO
- Non-denatured, raw, and whole
- Antibiotic-free, hormone-free, and pesticide-free
My Personal Experimentation
I’ve experimented with colostrum off and on for about 4 years and find that I’m less susceptible to colds and flu. On the other hand, if I do catch a bug, I recover much faster. After completing the Clean Gut program in February, I started taking it on a regular basis. As far as healing or helping leaky gut, I can definitely give it two thumbs up. While improved digestive health is one of the main reasons I chose this amazing food, I’ve recently increased my intake for fitness performance reasons. Other than a noticeable increase in muscle mass, I can’t as of yet share any comprehensive results.
Brands to Consider
My go-to brands are Immune Tree and Jarrow Formulas:
Immune Tree Colostrum6 Powder, Certified 6-Hour Colostrum, 6.5oz
- HIGH QUALITY ALL-NATURAL CERTIFIED 6-HOUR COLOSTRUM – Made from grass-fed, Grade A, Dairy cows that are certified healthy, BST, BSE and Antibiotic-Free.
- MAXIMUM STRENGTH – Certified and proven by Dr. Don Lein, Professor Emeritus Cornell University to be “true colostrum” and not transitional milk.
- ALL NATURAL CHYMOSIN protects the natural Anti-aging, Immune, Metabolic and other factors from stomach acids; these components help the body maintain its immune system and its ability to respond to different health issues. Fortifies the health of the Gastrointestinal (GI) tract.
Click for more information or to purchase:
Jarrow Formulas Colostrum Prime Life, Supports Gastroinestinal, Immune, and Respiratory Health, 500 mg, 120 Capsules
- Highest Biological Activity
- Proline-Rich Polypeptides rBGH Free Lactose Reduced
- Free From Antibiotics & Added Hormones
- USDA Certified Capsules
Click for more information or to purchase:
Other Great Brands
Sovereign Laboratories Travel / Trial Pack Colostrum-Ld Powder with Proprietary Liposomal Delivery (Ld) Technology For Up To 1500% Better Bioavailability than Regular Bovine Colostrum
Synertek 1st Six Hour Colostrum Powder, 8.8 Oz
Douglas Laboratories® Colostrum, 100% Pure New Zealand, Supports Immunity and Gastrointestinal Health, 120 Capsules
I hope you’ve found this information helpful. If you have digestive issues such as leaky gut, go ahead and try it for yourself. I’m sure you’ll be glad you did.
Best to you in your journey to better health!
You might also be interested in: Other Gut Aids